Recommended gaming laptops:
Here are included recommended 14.0″, 15.6″ and 17.3″ gaming laptops. I’ll start with the table in order to focus on several laptops and the performance that can be bought for around 600$-800$. Currently there is an excellent deal if you are looking to maximize the gaming performance you can get for $800 and this is the Y500. If you can’t find it, the refurbished Dell Latitude for around $600 is a very very good option.
These are my recommendations:
- Eurocom Shark 2.0 (Clevo W350ST) 15.6″/17.3″ – $740 + $25 shipping for an I5-4200M, GTX 765M, 8GB DDR3, 500GB SSHD and 1080p matte display. No OS included in the price. This is a very good deal if you don’t need the Os and can install your own. You get a lot of firepower with the I5 + GTX 765M and you get a solid laptop that won’t heat up and has another HDD/SSD/mSata bays if you’ll need to add some storage or an SSD for the OS. This is the fastest in this price range. However, don’t expect a lot of battery performance (around 3-4.5 hours tops under light use) and the sound quality of the speakers is low.
- The new Dell Latitude 15 3540 15.6″ ($700-$780) gaming laptop with Radeon 8850M (performance is around the GT 750M to GTX 760M level), matte 1080p screen, 4GB DDR3 and 500GB HDD. The performance for price is good and it should be fairly easy to replace the HDD and upgrade the RAM. Currently selling for around $780 w/ tax, which is too close to the big guns at $900-$1000, but if you have a Dell gift card deal or simply like it, it is a nice laptop.
- The new Lenovo Z710 17.3″ ($750), for those who look for a 17.3″ gaming laptop, with GT 745M GPU and an I5-4200M CPU is a good option. It comes with an 1080p screen and a 1TB HDD (SSHD maybe, unclear for now). For $750 it is a good option if you are really restricted to 17.3″ laptops, otherwise, the Y500 or Latitude 15 3000 above are faster for gaming.
The Y410p 14.0″ with GT 755M GDDR5 and I7-4700MQ for 800$-850$ (Use Lenovo B&N gold discount). Very good gaming performance for a 14.0″ gaming laptop in this price range. Now including a 900p screen too and for 850$ you’ll get also an 24GB mSSD drive. Although no reviews are here yet, the laptop should be of high quality and improve on its predecessor – the Y400. If you want a 800$ 14.0″ gaming laptop, this is a very good option. Very good option if you use an external monitor.
- HP 15z-j000 - For around 600$ with a 1080p screen, 750GB HDD, Radeon 8750M and 6GB DDR3. It’s a good deal for a cheap gaming laptop and would be my suggestion for the 650$-680$ price range (add tax and shipping). The 15z-j000 comes with no DVD, but weighs only ~4.5lbs which is excellent. Thermals should be ok. The screen is not good, so I wouldn’t recommend this laptop, but it is still better than a 720p screen in this price range.
- Acer V5-552G-X852 $600 and you get BF4 with Radeon 8750M, AMD quad core A10 CPU, 8GB DDR3 and 1TB HDD. At only 2kg for a 15.6″ laptop, it is quite lightweight. It’s also rather cool and quite. The only problem is the lousy 720p display which you can replace yourself for like $100 more and then this machine becomes a really nice offer.
|Model||Screen size||Performance||FullHD screen||Additional points of interest||Price & discounts||Why|
|Eurocom Shark 2.0||15.6″||GTX 765M + I5-4200M||YES||1x8GB DDR3||$680 or $750 w/ OS||1080p screen TOP gaming performance for the price New, unlike the Y500 option below7200RPM HDD|
|Lenovo Y500||15.6″||GT 650M SLI + I5||YES||6GB DDR3||$700||good 1080p screen TOP gaming performance for the price Windows 8 included|
|Lenovo Z710||17.3″||GT 745M + I5||YES||6GB DDR3||$750 (and eBay)||good 1080p screen Windows 8 included|
|HP 15z-j000||15.6″||Radeon 8750M + A8-5550M||YES||6GB DDR3||$590-$620 or direct link (coupon SVD8492)||1080p screen (but not that good) lightweight good gaming performance (although not the highest) quite + good thermals Windows 8 included|
|HP 15t-j000||15.6″||GT 740M + I5-3230M||YES||6GB DDR3||650$-750$||very good 1080p screen lightweight very good gaming performance for the money quite + good thermals Windows 8 included|
|Sony Vaio Fit 15E||15.5″||GT 740M + I5-3337U||YES||4GB DDR3||$700-$750||1080p screen + good gaming performance. Better replace the memory with a 2x4GB kit|
|15.6″||Radeon 7730M + I5/I7||YES||8GB DDR3||$650-$750||(optional)1080p screen + good gaming performance + good price|
|Sony Vaio S||15.5″||GT 640M LE + I5-3210M||YES||6GB DDR3||~ 900$||very good 1080p IPS screen lightweight – 2kg very highbuild quality|
|Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p||14.0″||GT 750M GDDR5 + I7-4700MQ||900p||8GB DDR3||around $800||For an 14.0″ laptop, it is the highest performer for this price range. Now including a 900p screen (vs 768p before). GT 750M GDDR5, backlit keyboard, 24GB mSSD, making this laptop an excellent 14.0″ option.|
|Model (link to coupon)||GPU/CPU||Street Price||Why||Why not||sources|
|GTX 660M / I7-3610QM||850$ (was 800$)||y580 with fullhd review: 1, 2|
|Lenovo IdaPad Y480 14.0″||GT 650M 2GB (DDR3) / Intel I7-3630QM||750$ for GT 650M version||review1, review2|
|Lenovo G780 17.3″||GT 635M / I7-3632QM||660$ currently||review|
|Lenovo Y570 review - this is the I5 version review, but it’s basically the same laptop|
|MSI CX61 15.6″||GT 645M / I5-3210M||700$||only a 1366×768 resolution (no configuration option)|
|HP dv6z-7200 15.6″||Radeon 7670M / A8-4500M||700$||dv6z-7000 review|
|HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 select edition||Nvidia GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 / Intel Ivy Bridge I5-3210M||750$ with GT 650M 2GB GDDR5, I5-3210M and 1080p screen||review of previous generation dv6tse,dv6t-7000 quad edition review|
|dv6t-7000 quad edition review,Another one|
|Asus N56DP 15.6″||Radeon 7730M / A10-4600M||800$||Asus N56DP review|
|Samsung NP350V5C 15.6″||Radeon 7730M / I5-3210M||650$-750$||review|
|Sony Vaio E 17.3″||HD 7650M / I5-3210M||760$ on newegg||review with I7-3612QM and 7650M|
|Sony Vaio S 15.5||GT 640M LE / I5-3210M||900$||Sony Vaio S 15.5″ review (with I7)|
|Acer TimelineU M5-481G 14.0″||GT 640M LE GDDR5 / I5-3317U||650$!||Acer TimelineU M5-481G review, Acer TimelineU M5-481G review|
|Acer TimelineU M5-581TG 15.6″||GT 640M LE GDDR5 / I5-3317U||700$!||Pretty much same as the M5-481TG||Pretty much same as the M5-481TG. Currently the price is right!||review, another review|
|Acer V3-571G 15.6″||GT 730M / I5-3230M||650$||review with GT 650M|
|Dell Inspiron 15R SE 15.6″||Radeon 7730M / I7-3632QM||750$||Dell 15R SE review|
|Sager NP6110 11.6″||GT 650M 2GB DDR3 / I5-3210M||820$ base price||Eurocom Monster review|
|XoticPC Force QAL51-HD 15.6″||GT 650M DDR3 / I5-2450M or I7||775$ with I5 and GT 650M DDR3 (cash)|