Recommended gaming laptops:
Here are included recommended 14.0″, 15.6″ and 17.3″ gaming laptops. I’ll start with the table in order to focus on several laptops and the performance that can be bought for around 600$-800$. Currently there is an excellent deal if you are looking to maximize the gaming performance you can get for $800 and this is the Y500. If you can’t find it, the refurbished Dell Latitude for around $600 is a very very good option.
I’d suggest waiting for the new models to be available. The HP 15t-j100, for example, is already available with a GT 840M, but my guess is that we’ll see more interesting GTX 850M equipped laptops for around $800.
These are my recommendations:
- The new Acer V3-772G 17.3″ gaming laptop (Amazon, Adorama, Acer) with GTX 850M GDDR5, 1080p display, 1TB HDD and Windows 8.1 OS. The gaming performance of the GTX 850M GDDR5 can get significantly faster than the GTX 850M DDR3 at around 25-35% performance advantage in average. This makes the V3-772G a very cost effective gaming laptop, with gaming performance which is very close to the GTX 860M / 770M for only $800 : easily the best laptop under $1000 with the best performance / price ratio. The 1080p display is ok. Case can get a little hot and so is the CPU, therefore it is better to take the I5 version (linked) or limit the CPU and GPU a bit, in case you’re getting the I7 version.
- HP Envy 15t Slim : I7-4712HQ, GTX 850M (probably DDR3), 8GB DDR3, 1080p display, 750GB 5400RPM HDD, backlit keyboard. Currently for $725 with coupon which is a good price for such specs, though quality is an unknown currently.
- The new Dell Latitude 15 3540 (review)15.6″ ($700-$780) gaming laptop with Radeon 8850M (performance is around the GT 750M to GTX 760M level), matte 1080p screen, 4GB DDR3 and 500GB HDD. The performance for price is good and it should be fairly easy to replace the HDD and upgrade the RAM. Currently selling for around $780 w/ tax, which is too close to the big guns at $900-$1000, but if you have a Dell gift card deal or simply like it, it is a nice laptop. Refurbished is also available for $550-$600 which is more reasonable.
- HP 15t-j100 or direct link (SAVE15HP coupon)- For around 700$ with the I5-4200M, 1080p screen, 750GB HDD, Nvidia GT 840M (Maxwell) and 6GB DDR3. It’s a good deal for a cheap gaming laptop. Sometimes there are come good coupon, so check the first link too. The 15t-j100 comes with no DVD and weighs ~5.62lbs. Thermals should be ok. The 1080p screen quality is still an unknown, though it is probably the same as last generation. The GT 840M Maxwell part should give a considerable gaming performance level of around the previous generation GT 750M DDR3 which is not bad at all and should place it near the Dell 3540 in terms of gaming performance, though it’s mainly due to Dell’s automatic throttling the hampers the gaming performance of the 3540.
- Acer V5-552G-X852 ($600) and you get BF4 with Radeon 8750M, AMD quad core A10 CPU, 8GB DDR3 and 1TB HDD. At only 2kg for a 15.6″ laptop, it is quite lightweight. It’s also rather cool and quite. The only problem is the lousy 720p display which you can replace yourself for like $100 more and then this machine becomes a really nice offer.
|Model||Screen size||Performance||FullHD screen||Additional points of interest||Price & discounts||Why|
|Eurocom Shark 2.0||15.6″||GTX 765M + I5-4200M||YES||1x8GB DDR3||$680 or $750 w/ OS||1080p screen TOP gaming performance for the price New, unlike the Y500 option below7200RPM HDD|
|Lenovo Y500||15.6″||GT 650M SLI + I5||YES||6GB DDR3||$700||good 1080p screen TOP gaming performance for the price Windows 8 included|
|Lenovo Z710||17.3″||GT 745M + I5||YES||6GB DDR3||$750 (and eBay)||good 1080p screen Windows 8 included|
|HP 15z-j000||15.6″||Radeon 8750M + A8-5550M||YES||6GB DDR3||$590-$620 or direct link (coupon SVD8492)||1080p screen (but not that good) lightweight good gaming performance (although not the highest) quite + good thermals Windows 8 included|
|HP 15t-j000||15.6″||GT 740M + I5-3230M||YES||6GB DDR3||650$-750$||very good 1080p screen lightweight very good gaming performance for the money quite + good thermals Windows 8 included|
|Sony Vaio Fit 15E||15.5″||GT 740M + I5-3337U||YES||4GB DDR3||$700-$750||1080p screen + good gaming performance. Better replace the memory with a 2x4GB kit|
|15.6″||Radeon 7730M + I5/I7||YES||8GB DDR3||$650-$750||(optional)1080p screen + good gaming performance + good price|
|Sony Vaio S||15.5″||GT 640M LE + I5-3210M||YES||6GB DDR3||~ 900$||very good 1080p IPS screen lightweight – 2kg very highbuild quality|
|Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p||14.0″||GT 750M GDDR5 + I7-4700MQ||900p||8GB DDR3||around $800||For an 14.0″ laptop, it is the highest performer for this price range. Now including a 900p screen (vs 768p before). GT 750M GDDR5, backlit keyboard, 24GB mSSD, making this laptop an excellent 14.0″ option.|
|Model (link to coupon)||GPU/CPU||Street Price||Why||Why not||sources|
|GTX 660M / I7-3610QM||850$ (was 800$)||y580 with fullhd review: 1, 2|
|Lenovo IdaPad Y480 14.0″||GT 650M 2GB (DDR3) / Intel I7-3630QM||750$ for GT 650M version||review1, review2|
|Lenovo G780 17.3″||GT 635M / I7-3632QM||660$ currently||review|
|Lenovo Y570 review - this is the I5 version review, but it’s basically the same laptop|
|MSI CX61 15.6″||GT 645M / I5-3210M||700$||only a 1366×768 resolution (no configuration option)|
|HP dv6z-7200 15.6″||Radeon 7670M / A8-4500M||700$||dv6z-7000 review|
|HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 select edition||Nvidia GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 / Intel Ivy Bridge I5-3210M||750$ with GT 650M 2GB GDDR5, I5-3210M and 1080p screen||review of previous generation dv6tse,dv6t-7000 quad edition review|
|dv6t-7000 quad edition review,Another one|
|Asus N56DP 15.6″||Radeon 7730M / A10-4600M||800$||Asus N56DP review|
|Samsung NP350V5C 15.6″||Radeon 7730M / I5-3210M||650$-750$||review|
|Sony Vaio E 17.3″||HD 7650M / I5-3210M||760$ on newegg||review with I7-3612QM and 7650M|
|Sony Vaio S 15.5||GT 640M LE / I5-3210M||900$||Sony Vaio S 15.5″ review (with I7)|
|Acer TimelineU M5-481G 14.0″||GT 640M LE GDDR5 / I5-3317U||650$!||Acer TimelineU M5-481G review, Acer TimelineU M5-481G review|
|Acer TimelineU M5-581TG 15.6″||GT 640M LE GDDR5 / I5-3317U||700$!||Pretty much same as the M5-481TG||Pretty much same as the M5-481TG. Currently the price is right!||review, another review|
|Acer V3-571G 15.6″||GT 730M / I5-3230M||650$||review with GT 650M|
|Dell Inspiron 15R SE 15.6″||Radeon 7730M / I7-3632QM||750$||Dell 15R SE review|
|Sager NP6110 11.6″||GT 650M 2GB DDR3 / I5-3210M||820$ base price||Eurocom Monster review|
|XoticPC Force QAL51-HD 15.6″||GT 650M DDR3 / I5-2450M or I7||775$ with I5 and GT 650M DDR3 (cash)|