PUBG and finances, maybe upgrade?

Home Forums Gaming Laptops Forum | Just Ask PUBG and finances, maybe upgrade?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  junky 10 hours, 45 minutes ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lombax
    Participant

I currently have an Acer V Nitro Black Edition VN7-591g with 17-4710HQ and 860m 2GB 8GB ddr3 RAM. Bought in December 2014.

My only complaint with this machine is that crappy HDD some games I MUST run off my 120GB boot SSD or else they stutter super bad but eh whatever.

Other than my complaint with HDD I’ve recently been playing Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds with some buddies at their place and I get average 50FPS with drastic drops at the lowest to 20FPS on ALL setting lowest possible except 1080p res. On my desktop (i7-2600 GTX970 12 GB RAM) I get a consistent 60FPS with drops to 40FPS.

Now to the point. I was wondering if I should bother selling my V nitro and looking for a new laptop that could replace desktop and laptop considering laptops have grown considerably in power since 2014 or I should just wait for PUBG to be optimized. In my experience with another early access title, ARK: Survival Evolved, waiting for optimization is just a delusional dream of someone wanting to play on mid end hardware. I’m looking to spend $1,000 MAX (pref $800~) if I need to upgrade my laptop and like I said maybe have that replace my desktop since laptop now have upgradable desktop CPUs and GPUs.

Also was wondering if maybe I should wait for a refresh or 2nd gen versions of these laptops that carry desktop components. Laptop runs the other games i play pretty well like H.O.T.S. and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance and Garry’s mod, and ARK runs somewhat playable.

My personal opinion is that PUBG is crappily optimized since i can play games like killing floor 2 flawlessly.

Also, thank you so much for your help in the past with finding this laptop and troubleshooting my stuttering issue. You really do run an amazing website Junky.

junky
    Keymaster

Hi!

1. These FPS drops – are they related to the scene you are in? For example, Fallout 4 is an FPS killer inside cities in some places. You can go from 70FPS to 20FPS. It is not optimized. So is ARK. I guess PUBG isn’t great on optimization either
    2. If these drops just happen even if you’re standing in one place, then maybe the CPU/GPU get hot and automatically underclocked. If it didn’t happen before, perhaps it’s a dry thermal paste or a bad fan
    3. If you’ve held with a GTX 860M till now, why not wait for the next generation NV GPUs probably early next year? You’ll probably also get a better, more power efficient Intel CPU
    4. What do different in PUBG that everyone play it now?

Lombax
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. A good question, would I be better off going for maybe some black friday/thanksgiving deals or waiting for the refreshes/next gen? I’m pretty big on getting the best performance for my dollar and at the time this v nitro was an insane package at ~$860. I wouldn’t be too opposed to going for something about the 1060 range either like a 1070 but I like knowing I got the best price/performance ratio.

junky
    Keymaster

I would suggest waiting these few months, but ass a price/performance consideration –  laptops like the FX502VM with a GTX 1060 3GB (not 6GB) are sometimes selling for $750 (new). The GE62VR you’ve linked to is a nice one for $1000 too.

Perhaps you can find a laptop with a GTX 1070 for ~$1000 if you’ll watch closely (probably refurbished). That would be a smash.

Lombax
    Participant

I think finding a laptop with a 1070 for around 1k would be perfect for me. But what do you think about waiting a year and getting a laptop with a desktop cpu/gpu and ditching my current desktop/laptop in favor of a dock at home. That way I only have to maintain one system and I’m not losing any performance due to mobility.

Also sorry for slow response, new job is demanding.

junky
    Keymaster

Well, GTX 1070 for 1K would be perfect, if you can find it..

And about waiting – if you don’t really want a laptop now, you can give it some time, wait for some deal, perhaps on Black Friday

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.