new laptop

Home Forums [Canada] laptops deals new laptop

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jtr 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

jtr
    Participant

Hi J  ; )   ,

I need a new laptop and I’ve been looking at ACER Nitro VN7-793G-709A (CA$ 1849.99 or 1370.92 US Dollar). I need a laptop to work (I do design) and some gaming. Besides specs, what really matters to me are my eyes/ display quality.

What do you think about this particular model. Do I have any options? I’m planning to travel so I need buy in under 15 days.

Thanks

J

junky
    Keymaster

Hi!

Can you please provide some more info? specific games/software, screen size (only 17.3″?), stuff like that

From my experience, the current 17.3″ 1080p displays are ok, but aren’t great. I bet the VN7-793G has no PWM mechanism in used and the surface is matte, so you should be good, but in terms of colors and contrast, perhaps you can do better

jtr
    Participant

That was fast!

Games: LOL, CS, Fifa… Only when I have the time left.

SW: Web design software + InDesign + CAD (less and less).

15″ is also ok. I am a litle biased toward ACER and I haven’t found the nitro 15″ yet. But I’m open to 15″ and to other manufacturers.

I tend to like matte screens.

Thank you once again.

junky
    Keymaster

I hear that a lot!

1. For such games, especially as a sidekick, you can get a much much cheaper GPU. InDesign won’t really need a strong GPU (until Adobe will up their game)
    2. So, maybe a good business class good looking laptop? Something lightweight, like the Dell Precision (has a 17.3″ version too) or Latitude E5580 (has a GPU option) / Lenovo Thinkpad / Asus Pro? The reason for the “business” class laptops is that generally they tend to get the niceties (good storage/connection ports), good build quality, very good keyboard and display, good warranty (precision include 3yr warranty as a default)
    3. Why Acer?

junky
    Keymaster

Are you there?

jtr
    Participant

Hey,

I’m aware that a 1060 is above my present needs but I need to think ahead. This new laptop is going to be with for next… 3 years.

I looked into Dell  – didn’t before – and I like their offer. And I really like the Precison (7510). I wish I could buy it but with extras (ultrasharp, RAM, SSD, Quadro), the end price goes beyond my budget.

Why Acer? Because they do excellent laptops for their price.

junky
    Keymaster
    1. About 3 years – the GTX 1050, for what you’ve described, is pretty nice, even for more demanding than these. I’m talking high graphics settings @ 1080p
    2. The Precision 5000 and 7000 series, as well as some other laptops, come with a TB3 port. The Precision 3000 series can be configured to have one. With TB3 and with the good, long term support these business class laptops have, you should be able to use an eGPU solution (but that could be some work). That way you’ll be able to use better GPU in 3 years, and replace it easily. Molecularity is an advantage too. That you choice and a bit of a gamble right now, but people are using it with many laptops
    3. Opinions about brands vary and generally you can see all kinds of opinions about everyone. Acer has some bad laptops, but generally, the cheaper gaming laptops with 1060/1070 GPUs are pretty similar

junky
    Keymaster

Any news?

jtr
    Participant

Hi!

Sorry for taking so long but I have finnaly made my decision: I finalised today my order of a SkyX4 from eurocom. Decided to strecht my budget and to take advantage of their current 2*10% discount on that model. Looks like I have bought a laptop for the next… 3 years *2 🙂

Although less harmful than usual, I’ll deal with that LG LP156WF6-SPB1 display by looking for a display profile.

Thanks again.

J

junky
    Keymaster

Great!

Did you get the 1060 or 1070?

jtr
    Participant

1060 (desktop) and 2*8GB RAM… It’s all I have been able to get because of budget constraints. I’ll install an SSD later this year.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.