Gaming Laptop Comparison

Home Forums Gaming Laptops Forum | Just Ask Gaming Laptop Comparison

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  junky 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rterrhalt
    Participant

After a small pseudo-nuclear event with my old gaming laptop, I am now in the market for a new one. I’m one of those folks who likes to buy something ‘future-proof’ that will last me 5+ years. That said, I still have a budget I’m trying to work inside of, and that budget is roughly $1300 to $1400.

To this end, I’ve been looking at a few laptops from the Asus ROG line, specifically a few of the Strix series (factory refurbished to get that nice discount, of course). Amazon offers 2 options that I had my eye on: Both have 1TB HDDs and 16GB of RAM. But then we get into the weeds with some of the other options.

One version had a 128GB SSD for the operating system, a GeForce GTX 1060 (the 6GB one), and a i7-7700HQ Kaby Lake processor (the newest one). The other was a few hundred dollars more expensive since it had a 256GB SSD, a GeForce GTX 1070, but had a i7-6700HQ (last generation’s Skylake processor).

The main question I have will be in the performance bracket. This is intended to be a heavy duty gaming rig. Something to play the likes of For Honor and other such graphically intensive games on. Not VR though, I’m not that rich. I talked to a Geek Squad guy at my local Best Buy, and he recommended the cheaper one solely because it had a newer processor. While I’d like to believe him, this is Best Buy we’re talking about, and though the cheaper option with the newer processor was recommended, I thought I’d ask this forum for a few opinions.

TL;DR: The issue was that I wasn’t sure if there was going to be a bigger performance leap from having the newer processor or the newer graphics card, and which would help me effectively make a more ‘future-proof’ machine. So keeping in mind what I intend to use it for, if I have to choose between a stronger processor (i7-7700HQ vs i7-6700HQ) or a stronger GPU (GTX 1070 vs GTX 1060), which of these should I consider?

Thanks in advance.

junky
    Keymaster

Hi!

1. No, better have a faster GPU than a faster CPU in almost all cases currently, especially if the choice is between I7-6700HQ and I7-7700HQ
    2. No preference of GTX 1070 over 1060? They are both quite powerful, but the 1070 can add quite a bit
    3. Are you a student or knows a student that can buy the laptop? There are some discounts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.