ASUS FX502VM Screen replacement!

Home Forums Gaming Laptops Forum | Just Ask ASUS FX502VM Screen replacement!

This topic contains 152 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  junky 4 hours, 6 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 153 total)
  • Author

Coldbird
    Participant

I got a LP156WF6-SPB6 as has been suggested by junky and can confirm that it does absolutely nothing about G-Sync.

In case someone wonders, yes, I’ve verified via hwinfo and the likes, it is a genuine LP156WF6-SPB6 panel.

Long story short, you want G-Sync? The panel alone won’t give it to you. There’s probably some kind of whitelist inside the NVidia driver that checks the BIOS-reported model string and won’t let you see or toggle the G-Sync settings regardless of what panel you run.

Muxumus
    Participant

Thank you ColorBird for confirming if this swap would actually enable it or not!

Its sad that it does not work but at least it makes me less pissed they sent me the wrong panel since it would not have worked anyway.

Thank you all and I hope my little tutorial and questions have helped others.

junky
    Keymaster

Thanks indeed. Not sure that’s on the NV drivers specifications, but maybe the laptop itself.

Anyway, it’s not THAT important

Tech_Geeky
    Participant

I have been looking for the replacement. Thanks that its compatible.

atomiccelery
    Participant

So g-sync cannot be enabled unless the manufacturer wants to enable it for that certain model. I even contacted ASUS about this and was told there is absolutely nothing they can do unless they decide to update it in the future. The panel attached now is actually g-sync compatible. The only requirement for a laptop to be g-sync enabled is that Optimus can’t be enabled. Which means the panel connects directly to the laptop’s GPU *in this case the 1060*. This laptop does, however the manufacturer decides whether or not to enable it. Maybe we can rally together and bug ASUS about it?

One thing I am curious about is a panel swap to a 144HZ panel. This would make this bundle of joy an FPS killer. I did some technical research and asked a few questions.. there shouldn’t be any reason why it won’t work. I had a panel already picked out but that was a few months ago. Let me go through my history to find it folks.

EDIT
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/B156HTN05-2-LED-LCD-Screen-for-15-6-FHD-eDP-Display-Panel-New-/192047673461?hash=item2cb6eef075:g:b9AAAOSwo4pYSJVi

Here is the panel in question.. after doing some google wikipedia youtube research.. yes.. this will enable your screen to a higher refresh rate. This panel in particular is 120hz!

BUT

BUT

If you swap panels some have reported that they cannot change the brightness anymore. I for one am kind of iffy about that as I like changing it at night. It wasn’t for this particular model laptop *ASUS FX502VM*.. ***it was the same panel though!!!!*** So BUYER BEWARE. I will install and report when I come home from my trip in about two weeks.

PS!!!!

Contact the seller on ebay to see if he actually has that specific panel in stock. IF YOU DON’T HE MIGHT CANEL/SEND YOU ANOTHER MODEL.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  atomiccelery.

atomiccelery
    Participant

I’ll be landing shortly and will be installing this panel in a few hours. Hopefully all goes well and I will become the FX502VM 120hz club leader.

junky
    Keymaster

any news?

atomiccelery
    Participant

Yes it was a complete success! After about an hour of paranoid installation I managed to get everything right *albeit ended up losing a screw* lol.

So.. onto the juicy details..

It runs at 120hz AND I can control the brightness which is a win win in my book. There is a noticeable difference in quality of picture as well, in my opinion. I’ll be posting SS’s soon. 🙂

junky
    Keymaster

nice!

Care to share the exact panel model and a link?

atomiccelery
    Participant

1ttp://imgur.com/KWbaBIp ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B156HTN05-2-LED-LCD-Screen-for-15-6-FHD-eDP-Display-Panel-New-/192047673461?hash=item2cb6eef075:g:b9AAAOSwo4pYSJVi

This is the panel that is being mentioned. It looks better than the original in my opinion but I didn’t install just for that, I wanted 120hz mainly but it still drastically improves the color imo. I’ll try to take a pic of it on my phone so you guys can be the judge.

junky
    Keymaster

Excellent!

Correction: it’s not an IPS, my mistake.. still, should be on the better side of the TNs! and have lower response and higher FPS

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  junky.

atomiccelery
    Participant

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

First is set to 100% and second is 0%

junky
    Keymaster

Well, really hard to judge with these images, but it doesn’t look as bad as some IPSs I’ve seen. Anyway, if you are happy with it, that’s great!

atomiccelery
    Participant

This panel really is a huge upgrade. I was originally going to buy a 144hz external monitor, but by being able to upgrade the color quality and the refresh rate all at once is the better choice.. and cheaper! I HIGHLY recommend doing this.

spyke_15
    Participant

Hello All,

I have been following this thread since quite sometime now. I also have the same laptop and I cannot agree with you guys more on the screen quality.

Coming to the point regarding switching the screen I have listed the following screens down with the highest priority first. Request your inputs.

LTN156HL06-C01 16.7 M 72% 85
    NV156FHM-N61 16.7 M 72% 85
    NL192108AC18-01D 16.7 M 72% 88
    B156HTN05.2
    NV156FHM-N43 262K 72% 85
    LP156WF6-SPB6 262K 72% 80

<Model><Colors><Gamulet><View angle>

The one suggested with 120Hz is very lucrative but I do not have that need right now.

I am looking for a good display with considerable response time.

Thanks for all the discussion.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.