ASUS FX502VM Screen replacement!

Home Forums Gaming Laptops Forum | Just Ask ASUS FX502VM Screen replacement!

This topic contains 152 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  junky 20 hours, 12 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 153 total)
  • Author

junky
    Keymaster

Thanks!

It seems that I don’t get notified when you reply for some reason.

spoonzie
    Participant

hi guys, new here, just registered to show my appreciation for you all. i recently bought a fx502vm.

as you know .. that screen is so bad. so so bad.  i have ordered from the website you mentioned and specified i need the LG one to enable g-sync, will let you know how i get on.

junky
    Keymaster

you talked to them?

spoonzie
    Participant

used the livechat to confirm the model and included i wanted the LG model in the notes section, the Glossy panel is now shipping over as i had the Matte TN panel come with my notebook and compared to my old notebook from 2011 the colors seemed very faded in media.

luckily theres already the video you guys provided for the screen replacement 🙂

shipping from canada to the UK now so will let you know if it enables g-sync in about 2 weeks when it arrives.

junky
    Keymaster

OK! Waiting to hear from you! Thanks

spoonzie
    Participant

i asked them to send me the LG model, they t old me they were sending me the LG model …. the AUO model arrived. pretty pissed off.

wasted my time installing it just to check g-sync ect anyway.

colors look alot better, but to be honest preferred the TN panel to this one as my screen didnt seem as responsive.

thank you for the youtube guide, only things i would add is – Check before you put the bezels back together and screw things together. (worth turning it on before reassembly)

first time i hadnt put the montior cable in far enough and had to take it apart again.

think i might of broken one of the plastic clips on the screen, it was extremely tough getting that screen bezel off.

junky
    Keymaster

Sorry to near that;/

Also, indeed, it won’t be surprising if the TN panels is more responsive

Which model did you get? (Can check with hwinfo)

spoonzie
    Participant

B156HAN04.0 HW1A

junky
    Keymaster

But that’s not a good screen! 🙁 Why did they send you that one? it has low color coverage

http://www.panelook.com/B156HAN04.0%20HW1A_AUO_15.6_LCM_parameter_27403.html

I think it’s better to replace it/send it back. They have 15 days of full refund, but I think it’s better to talk to them and tell them that this model has *considerably* lower actual color gamut (and not even as good viewing angles as the other good AUOs). They should replace it on their own expense

Muxumus
    Participant

Yes I agree with Junky.

They did the same thing to me but at least they sent me something with a decent color gamut (73% I think) so I was not too pissed.  The thing is from what I am reading, the color gamut on the panel they sent you is no better than your TN panel.

junky
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s a 45% NTSC (probably less in practice). If you get a new IPS display, at least get a display with a good color coverage.

IPS panels have others problems, like response times and such, though

thalion1138
    Participant

Hello ! I know I am totally necroing this thread and post, but I have the same laptop and wanted to get some input.

First off, this panel is an absolute piece of trash. I thought people were exaggerating when they complained about TN vs IPS. My old HP laptop’s screen is significantly better than this. The whites and blacks are especially terrible on here. It reminds me of my dad’s work laptop from the late 90s. Also what’s the deal with the huge bezel? Yeah, moving on.

When I messaged the folks at laptopscreens.com they told me that its the graphics card that is dependent on whether it is G-Sync compatible. Since the GTX 1060 is obviously compatible with G-Sync, what stops it from being used? The panel? BIOS setting? They told me the panel is irrelevant, but if that is the case then why do they advertise g-sync as an option on the same model laptop? I feel like it is just a way for them to not have to guarantee something having g-sync, and that there is more to it than just that, because then I should be able to use it since I have a GTX 1060 in my laptop right?

Anyways, I’m trying to figure out some info on replacing mine.  To those who replaced their FX502VM screen, do you have any problems, or any new feedback since it has been 3-4 months now? Things you wished you knew or did differently? I’m looking to buy an IPS replacement, with a G-Sync and I’d love a higher refresh rate, but laptopscreens doesn’t sell any above 60.

When I asked for compatible screens for the FX502VM they listed three that were different than ones posted and recommended here.

NV156FHM-N42 V5.

LP156WF6(SP)(K3)

and LTN156HL02 – B02

If the FX502VM is based off the same stuff as the GL502VM does that also mean that any screen that is compatible with the GL version would work for the FX one? Does that mean I can take a gsync panel intended for the GL502VM and use it on my FX502VM?

Thanks.

junky
    Keymaster

Hi!

1. Not all TN panels are as bad. Actually, some TN panels would be better for most people than some IPSs. Plus, their response rates are lower in many cases
    2. GSync is also requiring direct connection between the GPU and display currently. In many laptops, Optimus is being used which means the display is actually connected to the iGPU first (which relays the NV/AMD GPU output). Also, it seems that you need the display to be having some additional component or firmware – not sure. Anyway, the person above didn’t get the ‘right’ display
    3. The displays are standard eDP displays, and yes the GL and FX could use the same one. If you order from laptopscreen, make sure you are getting a *specific* model

thalion1138
    Participant

Optimus is not a feature on the FX502VM, AFAIK, so I imagine one can use gsync then?

When I asked about the g-sync compatible display you mentioned to laptopscreens they did not even mention it, they blew over my question and mentioned others they have in their warehouses. They also did not say it would be compatible, but they did not say it would be incompatible.

What do you mean by a specific model? Besides the bait and switch with the other guy I figure they will send the right thing most the time.

junky
    Keymaster

Don’t count on their technical knowledge.. the most you can get from them is a specific panel model, if you ask real hard. I mean, that if you want to get a specific model, like the LG LP156WF6-SPB1 or something, then you have to ask them for that specifically, not a “compatible” model.

I think the FX502VM might have GSync running with the right display, not sure yet, as I said. If you want to take a chance on the GSync, better try and get one of the displays that are known to work with it, like the LP156WF6-SPB6 or LP156WF6 3874Y variant

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.