ASUS FX502VM Screen replacement!

Home Forums Gaming Laptops Forum | Just Ask ASUS FX502VM Screen replacement!

This topic contains 166 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  DumSkidderik 4 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 167 total)
  • Author

junky
    Keymaster

DumSkidderik, any news?

atomiccelery
    Participant

j.soul every screen in every laptop is gsync compatible. Read my post in the earlier pages. If your laptop doesn’t have gsync enabled from the manufacturer you will not get a gsync enabled laptop just by swapping the screens

thalion1138
    Participant

Hey y’all

I replaced the screen in my fx502vm with one of the ips ones as recommended by others here and just to echo what they said: it’s a million times better than the stock TN panel. It took me a couple hours to do as I was way slow and overly careful of breaking the bezel so I took a long time. The angles and colors are way better than stock and it’s a huge improvement.

I did happen to notice that the screen sort of bothered my eyes a little bit when I played subnautica and moved around a lot, but I think I got used to it.

Thanks for the info and I would highly recommend anyone else to replace the screen if you use the laptop a lot. It made it significantly easier to see blacks, contrasts especially and overall much better experience.

Muxumus
    Participant

Hello all

I am glad to see that so many people have used this forum to upgrade their FX-502vms!  I am including a spreadsheet which i used to make the decision to purchase the fx to help anyone decide if the FX is right for them, it can be modified and im sure the prices are out of date but it has some ratios like dollar per fps and fps per pound that might help someone make a decision.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zueqHILvPZk2GH-rQ2N5oNTAwb0HQ_DquOk6QboBkI0/edit?usp=sharing

junky
    Keymaster

thalion1138, great to hear! which model did you get? The bothered eyes could be something right – maybe because of higher response times (meaning, refreshes slower) or something else

Muxumus, great stuff, good work! I’m working about something like that for quite some time (I’m very slow with this site, taking everything too personally), but I’m struggling with deciding about the right measurement for performance. Also, prices change. I think I’ll do something like a “test suite” for each year or something, to represent the changing of games

If you have any idea, I’ll be happy to hear it!!

Muxumus
    Participant

@junky I’m down to help anyway I can, if you want me to add any metrics to the spreadsheet I would be glad to help, was trying to figure out a way to link prices from amazon directly on to the excel so it updates automatically but not sure how yet.

junky
    Keymaster

@Muxumus, perhaps I’ll contact you soon!

DumSkidderik
    Participant

Sorry for my late reply!

Downloaded the drivers you linked, but they appear to be even older (372) once you launch the installer, and they don’t detect my GTX1060 😐

Currently using this software to dim the screen, does a pretty OK job, can also use keybinds:

https://dimscreen.en.softonic.com/

junky
    Keymaster

The software dimming is usually just opacity..

Maybe you should try the drivers from Asus site?

Chifut
    Participant

Hey guys, glad to see there’s a post about the Fx502vm screen 🙂

Could you guys help me pick a screen? I got really confused from all the different modules here..

From what I’ve read some screens are gsync compatible and some are not.

I’m mainly looking for a glossy IPS display (I can’t look at this matte screen anymore), that’ll have the gsync option that’ll not be too expensive.

Would really appreciate some help, and have a great week!
    -Martin

Chifut
    Participant

Update: So from what I’ve seen in the youtube video posted here, this screen is recommended:

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP156WF6(SP)(B6)/?hash=443995

Can you guys confirm that it works with the FX502VM laptop and it doesn’t have any brightness issues?

I can’t wait to order one ^_^”

junky
    Keymaster

Hi man, how are you doing?

1. GSync or not, no one here could make GSync work – either because the motherboard doesn’t have it or it is disabled in the bios. So, don’t spend your efforts there
    2. Why no matte? the colors?
    3. The model you linked to is an average IPS display – good, but not great. It will be a lot better than the TN panel in the FX502VM and you will probably be very satisfied

Chifut
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the quick replay!

Well I’m really tired of the matte screen, my last laptop was also with a matte screen (way better than this one) but still I prefer to have a glossy one ^^”

Hmm, Is there any other display you could link me in this website that you’d recommend?

junky
    Keymaster

I prefer a matte display, at least for an IPS on a laptop, but each one and her/is wishes!

As of alternatives – not sure what is available currently. The selection for us end consumers isn’t that great. I’d consider one of them 4K IGZO panels for their colors and contrast, but that’s not a must. You could also simply start with the LG LP156 and climb from there

Chifut
    Participant

Yeah I guess I’ll just go for it, thanks man!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.